Strona główna forum » Jednoślady » First-year Saints tight end Jared Cook won't take his appare

First-year Saints tight end Jared Cook won't take his appare

Napisz nowy tematOdpowiedz do tematu
Autor Wiadomość
liny195

Post2020-01-13, 03:37    First-year Saints tight end Jared Cook won't take his appare Odpowiedz z cytatem
good fit with record-setting quarterback Drew Brees and New Orleans' prolific offense for granted.After a decade in the NFL that often fell short of expectations — particularly in Green Bay with star QB Aaron Rodgers in 2016 — Cook has decided that the degree to which he succeeds begins with his own determination to master the scheme in which he plays and his effort to cultivate a strong rapport with his quarterback."It's all about the preparation. The more you go into a game plan knowing what to do Rashan Gary Green Bay Packers Jersey , knowing what your quarterback is going to check to or tell you before he even says it, I think the preparation in that aspect gives you a step above the competition," said Cook, who arrived in New Orleans this offseason after signing a two-year, $15 million contract."It's your preparation that's going to get you a little extra open," Cook said. "That's going to make the difference between a 1-yard contested catch or 5-yard separation, wide open. So it's just how I approach the game, how I go about it, how I'm learning. I think that's more important on your growth and it's on you. It starts with you first."With a 6-foot-5, 254-pound frame, relatively good speed and reliable hands, Cook has been viewed as a tight end with a lot of upside since the Tennessee Titans took him in the third round of the 2009 draft out of South Carolina.But it wasn't until last season — his 10th in the NFL — that he made his first Pro Bowl with Oakland after posting career highs of 68 catches for 896 yards and six touchdowns. Last season also happened to mark Jon Gruden's return to coaching with the Raiders. Not surprisingly, Saints coach Sean Payton noticed.Payton began his NFL coaching career in 1997 as an offensive assistant in Philadelphia, where Gruden was the offensive coordinator at the time. While Payton has evolved in the two decades since Rashan Gary Jersey 2019 , he still sees common threads his and Gruden's offensive philosophies."I cut my teeth a little bit offensively in his system," Payton said. "John is extremely talented in putting together a plan. Just the installation, the consistency with how you teach and what you do with your players."We're different, but yet there's some similarities," Payton continued. "We'll watch and study their film and look for ideas."Or in Cook's case, a player who was about to enter free agency in the same year he'd found a role in which he could thrive."There's a little bit of: Is it the right script for success?" Payton said, making a comparison to the film industry. "There's been a lot of real good actors in poor movies and there've been a lot of poor actors in poor movies. I think it is up to us to really look closely at the things that he does well and feature those things."Brees-to-Cook connections, often 15 to 20 yards down field, have become commonplace during the first few weeks of training camp."One thing you see with Cook is his stature," Payton said. "A lot of times you'll talk about a big target and there is a confidence level when you throw it to someone who's that tall and who's got really good hands. So they've been able to make some good plays."The Saints hope Cook will make opponents pay for blanketing leading receiver Michael Thomas with double teams and shadowing running back Alvin Kamara, who also has been a prime target in the short passing game."At the end of the day, you can't double all those guys," Brees said. "Defenses are going to try to mix it up and at times are going to take some chances. And when they do, you're ready for it and you try to take advantage."Cook Color Rush Rashan Gary Jersey , meanwhile, has been gratified by the respect Brees and Payton have shown in the way they discuss the offense with him, saying the QB and coach have "done a great job just being open with me about certain routes and how I like certain things and just kind of picking my brain a little bit."That approach only elevates Cook's optimism about playing in an offense that has ranked in the top four in the NFL in 11 of the previous 13 seasons — including first six times — and never worse than eighth in that span."They already have the scheme in place," Cook said. "It's just the fact of: How do I fit, and where do I fit and how can I make this scheme better with what I do?" After pass rusher, most fans don’t really care. Fix the pass rush, maybe upgrade the offensive line depth and fill the right guard spot, but really all anyone in Packer Nation wants to talk about this offseason will be fixing the pass rush. As they should. Clearly, that’s a hole on this team no matter what Kyler Fackrell’s shiny numbers say. Nick Perry can’t stay healthy. Clay Matthews will make a great Raider. Reggie Gilbert may be just a guy and Kendall Donnerson is a big ball of tools. The offensive line could use some upgrades, but more on that later. Defensively, the Packers will be materially consistent year over year. Mike Pettine will stay on as defensive coordinator and though he has a reputation for molding his approach to fit his players, we can safely assume there will be myriad blitz looks, double-A gap pressures, and mixing of coverages. We know what that looks like and where the Packers have to get better: outside linebacker first and foremost Cheap Rashan Gary Jersey , an upgrade at safety, and maybe someone to push for more time inside at linebacker. Matt LaFleur’s arrival in Green Bay presents much larger trickle-down effects when it comes to roster building. His offense doesn’t prioritize all the same things the Packers did under Mike McCarthy, though luckily the zone blocking schemes will remain intact. That shouldn’t change the kind of offensive linemen the Packers might be targeting in free agency or the draft. Ted Thompson and now Brian Gutekunst have a type when it comes to the draft and they’ll retain continuity of that type under LaFleur. Not everyone on the Titans' roster fit what LaFleur wanted to do, including along the offensive line, but Quinton Spain possesses some of the athletic traits the Packers prize in a guard, with tackle size and quick enough feet. He played solid football for Tennessee and would be a clear upgrade at right guard for the Packers. His knowledge of the system and his talent could make him an intuitive addition in free agency. There’s also a potentially important philosophical approach to consider this offseason. Sean McVay came to LA and changed the Rams, but that front office loaded him up with talent. So aside from simply considering scheme fit, there’s a case to be made that the Packers should get back to reloading an offense that has been mostly neglected by Ted Thompson over the last few years. It’s been years since Green Bay spent premium draft capital on a skill position player and while they have studs like Davante Adams and Aaron Jones, behind them stands a plethora of question marks. Being aggressive in free agency and the draft to surround Rodgers, and by extension LaFleur, with playmakers, is the best way to set the new head coach up for success.This draft is rich with tight end talent, so much so Iowa might have not one but two guys go in the top 40-50 picks.There are a half dozen other guys who could go in the top-100, maybe more. There could be a greater sense of urgency to add pedigree at that position with LaFleur in the fold. To wit Rashan Gary Jersey Womens , LaFleur’s arrival could speed up Jimmy Graham’s departure. McCarthy’s usage of his personnel with Graham in particular last season was troubling, but the evidence is clear: Jimmy Graham can’t block. And in LaFleur’s offense, that’s just not going to work. There are plenty of opportunities to split out tight ends, but so much of the offense is predicated on having a tight end who can at least threaten to block someone, it’s hard to see justifying the $12.6 million cap hit for a part-time player.Green Bay can designate him as a post-June 1 cut and only have around $4 million in dead cap on their books. That $8 million difference could be used to sign a quality player or two and make this team more well-rounded. As such, the Packers should continue the Big Bob Tonyan experiment and giving Marcedes Lewis another go would make sense given his blocking prowess - assuming him telling tales out of school about Rodgers changing McCarthy’s plays isn’t a dealbreaker for Green Bay. But with Lance Kendricks unlikely to be back, that isn’t going to be enough to the tight end position, not in this offense where LaFleur and other Mike/Kyle Shanahan disciples will use two and even three tight ends with regularity. Speaking of pass catchers, Davante Adams works no matter what scheme is being run, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling’s speed should be a boon for the types of shot plays LaFleur loves to scheme up. Prime Randall Cobb would have been perfect for this new offense with his quick twitch athleticism and run-after-the-catch potential. Unfortunately, that player hasn’t played in Green Bay since 2014. There are glimpses, like his incredible game-winning touchdown vs the Bears, but on a snap-to-snap basis, he simply can’t provide that any longer. LaFleur loves to give receivers a chance to catch and run Rashan Gary Green Bay Packers Jersey , whether it’s off crossing routes underneath, on receivers screens, or on slants. As dynamic as Adams can be after the catch, the Packers would benefit from the addition of a Cobb-like player. There will be options in free agency like ex-Lions star Golden Tate who proved last weekend he still has some juice in those legs at 30 years old. For a player who runs after the catch like a running back, he should have no problem being effective into his 30’s. Want to find a better use for the $8 million the Packers could save by cutting Graham? Found it. Could the Packers surprise and use one of their first-round picks on a pass-catcher? Most of the receivers in the class are big-bodied maulers, but there are some intriguing names to watch. Oklahoma’s Marquise Browns may be small (5’9 168) but may well be the fastest player in college football and was dynamic after the catch in Norman. Parris Campbell from Ohio State could further the Packers’ trend of striking gold in the second round at receiver. The Buckeyes used him in the backfield and split out. His playmaking jumped off the screen when I was studying Dwayne Haskins. Just look at how the Rams offense has struggled to a relative degree with its slot weapon Cooper Kupp since his injury. The ability to get open quickly and create after the catch can be a vital weapon to this offense in Green Bay and they don’t have a player right now who can fill that role. Certainly, there are players on the margins who could come in and help this team, like a pass-catching running back, safety help, and more, but those were going to be needs regardless of who was calling the shots in Green Bay. The Packers front office has its work cut out for it identifying and filling the voids to bring this team back to Super Bowl contention, but at least there’s a clear identity on both sides of the ball. That kind of focus has been lacking in recent years, and continuity should make it easier to identify players who could come in and help. The Packers bet big on a young coach to come in and revamp this team. They have to tailor the offseason to give him every chance to live up to those expectations.
Reklamy
Strona główna forum » Jednoślady » First-year Saints tight end Jared Cook won't take his appare
Skocz do:  
Napisz nowy tematOdpowiedz do tematu

Recepcja
Login:
Hasło:
Pamiętaj mnie
Brak konta? Zarejestruj się!